Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto Alegrense, commonly known as Grêmio, is one of the most successful Brazilian football clubs. Founded in 1903 in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, the club has a rich history and has won numerous titles over the years.
Here are 15 reasons why Grêmio FBPA is one of Brazil’s most beloved and accomplished teams:
1. The club was founded by German immigrants and was originally called “Foot-Ball Club Porto Alegrense”. It wasn’t until 1946 that the name was changed to “Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto Alegrense”.
2. Grêmio holds an impressive record of two Copa Libertadores titles (1983 and 1995), five Brazilian Serie A championships (1981, 1982, 1983, 1996 and 2017), two Recopa Sudamericana trophies (1996 and 2018), among other notable domestic accolades.
3. One of Grêmio’s biggest rivals is Internacional from the same city. Together they make up one of Brazil’s fiercest rivalries known locally as Gre-Nal or Clássico Gaúcho.
4. The club’s nickname “Tricolor” comes from its traditional color scheme: blue, black, and white stripes.
5. Renato Portaluppi also known as Renato Gaúcho is considered one of the greatest players in Grêmio’s history., He led them to their first Copa Libertadores title victory in 1983 with his iconic free-kick goal against Peñarol at Estádio Olímpico Monumental in front of a packed crowd.
6. In recent times Luan Guilherme de Jesus Vieira popularly called Luan helped lead Gremio to win both Copa Libertadores trophy in (2017) & Recopa Sudamericana in (2018) He was also awarded the best player of Copa Libertadores 2017.
7. Grêmio’s home ground is Arena do Grêmio, a modern stadium built-in 2012 with a capacity of approximately 55,000 spectators.
8. With five Brazilian Serie A titles to their name, Grêmio remains one of Brazil’s most successful teams domestically.
9. The club has produced several notable players over the years, including Ronaldinho Gaúcho and Douglas Costa who both went on to have successful careers in Europe.
10. Everton Soares known as Cebolinha was one of the stand-out performers for Brazil during their 2019 Copa America triumph and continues to be an integral part of the current Gremio team which reached semifinals for last two consecutive seasons.
11. In addition to its footballing success, Grêmio has a proud social responsibility program that helps underprivileged communities in Porto Alegre through various initiatives such as education programs and sports activities.
12. Despite being based in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Grêmio has fans all over Brazil and even abroad thanks to its rich history and successful legacy.
13. Alongside Internacional FC from Porto Alegre another major rival is SC Corinthians Paulista from São Paulo who they faced off against them twice consecutively in finals of Copa do Brasil winning once each time
14. Over the years there have been many memorable moments for Grêmio fans including their thrilling victory over Hamburgo SV in the final of Intercontinental Cup back at Tokyo National Stadium on December 11th,1983 when Renato Portaluppi scored winner goal coming off bench which remains fresh in every fan’s memory till today
15. Lastly but certainly not least is the passionate support base that follows this historic institution across Brazil – whether it be traveling away or filling up the Arena do Gremio for a home game, Grêmio fans are renowned for their unwavering dedication and loyalty to their beloved club.